Why are you here? What is brilliant blogging?

Zorb Balling at Keswick Mountain Festival Zorb Balling at Keswick Mountain Festival

Zorb Balling at Keswick Mountain Festival

It’s time for us to get out of our bubble and find out who you are

Talking point: Why are you here?

Kirstie Profile Small

Do you ever wonder about what you’re doing and why you’re here? I’m not talking existentially, although a little of that is good for the soul. No, right now I’m actually wondering why you’re here on this page.

It’s all about you

When Stuart and I plan our blog posts each week, we think of you. We wonder who you are, why you’re here and what might make your stay interesting. Yes you! Did you know we talk about you? Seriously if you weren’t along for the ride, there would be no ride, no point. Our blog would be a diary. And I’ve always hated writing diaries. So thanks, you’ve saved me from that.

Last week we learnt we’d been nominated in three categories of the UK national Brilliance in Blogging awards. We’d never thought of ourselves as brilliant. Gaudy, eccentric, off-balance perhaps, but not brilliant. Anyway, recognition is a nice feeling. But what is brilliant blogging? And who decides?

What makes a blog brilliant for you?

I’d like to think readers are at the heart of good writing but we’ve come to realise we don’t really know that much about you. Our relationship is a bit one-sided. Like my mother in law, we do a lot of talking and perhaps don’t listen much. And we want to know what would make time you spend here more brilliant?

Hard to work but am I listening

I write to you a lot and I’d love to hear back from you. That’s optimism!

So without wanting to be rude, who are you?

I might recognise your name from a comment, or your style from a tweet. But you and I have never hung out, I don’t know what you look like, or sound like, and our kids don’t play together after school. I don’t even know how you take your coffee. Maybe you don’t even like coffee?

The thing is if we want to be brilliant for you it would be brilliant to know what you want and like.

So we’re asking…

We’ve had a go at tapping into your views and opinions through a series of regular talking points like this. Since October we’ve done a lot of work on the blog, redesigning, introducing Punkt, better photography, more videos and new strands of content like Talking Points and Adventure Ideas.

But we’d love to know what you think. Like:

• What do you come here for?
  • What do you find most interesting, valuable, enjoyable or irritating?
  • Is our blog too narrative or not narrative enough?
  • Do you just want to read travel or more about family life or other stuff?
  • Should we do more reviews, or less reviews, or no reviews?
  • What could we do better?

Perhaps you don’t give a monkeys what we do with our site. In which case, we’d love to hear that too. And it probably means you have a better work/life balance than us.

Over to you…

Anyway, we’d love to hear from you in as few or many words as you can spare, anyway you like. Leave a comment below, drop us an e-mail, tweet us or post us on Facebook.

And I’ll try not to be like my mother in law. In fact I’ll go further than that, I’ll forgo my coffee and reward the most useful piece of feedback with a £10 Amazon gift voucher so do make sure we can contact you.

Look forward to hearing from you

NOMINATE ME BiB 2013 TRAVEL

Tags: , ,

Kirstie is the Editor of The Family Adventure Project. A professional writer, she's the creative and journalistic force behind many of the stories and features published here. She's a co-founder and co-director of the project, the misadventure magnet part of the partnership and a busy mum.

13 Responses to “Why are you here? What is brilliant blogging?” Subscribe

1. Henna | HENNA BLOSSOM BLOG May 9, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

Aw, I feel bad that I can’t really answer this. I love that you are doing a reader survey though. I’d totally jump in except that this is my first time on your page.

I found you by searching for other families who travel and blog about it. SO, I guess I obviously would like lots of content about your adventures as a family. :)

We only have one little one. A toddler. I blog about our life. I actually just posted about our last adventure in Venice, Italy. I did a little reminiscing because we’re about to go on another big trip for the summer next week.

Love for you to check out that post: http://hennablossom.com/?p=2649

I’ll have to come back with feedback after I hang out for a little longer!

xo,
    Henna

• Stuart May 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Henna, Your first impressions, and those of occasional and random visitors matter as much as any regular callers. It’s seems so random how people find us as it is how we find other sites.. like yours. I’ll go take a look at your post now! Thanks for taking time to stop by and comment. :-) .

2. Alessandra May 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Hi guys,
    i’ve just discovered your “brilliant” Blog and I LIKE IT!!!! We’re the Toads Family, as the translation of our blog name Toad’s trip!!!
    We’re Italian, we live in Milan and we’ve just decided to follow you in your adventures as we’re adventourous too…camping, hiking, desert…sport rhymes with a travel adventure for us!! We miss su much chatting in English and we’d love to have new friends all over the world to share the same love for travel and adventure!!!
    So go on with your grat job and keep in touch!
    Alessandra, aka Lali Viaggi

• Stuart May 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Hey Alessandra, Sounds like you have a similar love of travel, adventures and outdoors as we do. Funny how we know each other from afar through FB or Twitter ‘handles’ and can know so much and so little of each other but feel a connection. One day we will have to come explore Italy.. you have such varied landscape and climates for diverse adventures there.

• Alessandra May 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

Yes Stuart!!! You’re so right!! About social media and our climate as well!! Thanks to your preciuos advice we’ve just bought a new tent – different from our previous one – and for the 1st time a not Italian tent!!! This summer we’re planning camping at the seaside, but we’d love to discover UK, North France and that’s why we decided to buy it on a UK web site….actually English or US tent are suitable for more rigid weather conditions, as you’re used to wet….
        :-)
        Really, go on with this amazing job!!!

3. Thomas Arbs May 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

I think I joined this blog when you were cycling the Baltic. I returned ever since to find inspiration, to watch a like-minded family go their way, to actually learn from your practical tips, and, well, to visit friends I never met (despite menawhile various attempts…). May this blog keep drawing readers, and some more comments.

• Stuart May 15, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Thanks Thomas. One day we will meet. It’s sad that when you come to the UK we will not be here. We will have to fix this some day. Although this virtual relationship brings many smiles. :-)

• Thomas Arbs May 18, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

It is still if and when. Sweden remains in an open race.

• Stuart May 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Oh sweet Sweden. Some of the most fabulous canoe touring around. And the freedom to camp legally!

4. Nadine Hill, Juggle Mum May 14, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

I have only just found your site after meeting Kirstie at Blog Summit, but I love the energy of your blog and I admire your creative photography.

This is something I’m actively working on for my own blog- making the everyday look beautiful with an unusual camera angle or close up. I can take a few pointers from you as you are doing it so well!

Keep doing what you are doing. I’ve added you to my Facebook likes and will be keeping up with you all for more family travel inspiration!

5. Brenda Cupryna May 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

Can’t remember when I first found the blog, a couple of years ago though. I got on to it because of cycling.I am 62 and we did our own thing raising our sons on cycling, camping and kayaking. Both are on the autistc spectrum so we had our challenges but it fostered family unity. I believe in families. Strong families are needed in our society.I love reading about your outdoor adventures.

6. Curtis June 12, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Hello:

We struggle with the same issues. How do we know what readers really want? Sometimes I feel that I am too random or babble on in my posts. I look at my analysis program and try to determine which articles are popular and which may be boring. Do you use such a program for your blog? In the end, I talk to many people to get feedback. I like your survey idea. Getting people to respond is always a challenge, though.

Personally, I like your conversational writing style. I tend to be more formal in my writing (comes from being a professor). I like the diversity of topics too. Being a former teacher, I do not like large garish fonts and headings because they are too distracting. For ease of reading, having articles less cluttered is better (solely my humble opinion).

I hope I am not over-stepping and am being somewhat helpful. Take care.

Curtis

• Stuart June 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

Hey Curtis, Thanks for the feedback. You are not overstepping the mark at all. All feedback and comment helps us understand a little better who’s out there reading, browsing or passing by and what they think of what they find. We aim for a conversational narrative style and to be eclectic in our coverage so good to hear you get that. As for garish fonts I’m with you on that; simple is easier to read and surely that’s what it’s all about. Unless you’re here for the pictures! Not really considered doing any analysis on posts, interesting idea to see what gets picked up most, although not sure that popularity will reflect what we think of as quality! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to comment. Will have to go check out your site. Stuart